The 2009 McDonalds Fremont Junior Open Tennis Tournament was hosted July 24-26, 2009 at the Fremont High School Tennis Complex. There were 128 competitors entered in this sanctioned USTA Missouri Valley Nebraska District tournament. Seven boys from the Fremont area were among the participants.
The Fremont area players were:
- Logan Baumberger – Boys 12 Singles
- Torrey Escamilla – Boys 18 Singles
- Joseph Hoffman – Boys 18 Singles
- Trey Mueller – Boys 12 Singles
- Luke Prescott – Boys 14 Singles and Boys 14 Doubles
- Luke Samuelson – Boys 18 Doubles
- and Braydon Zoucha – Boys 16 Singles and Boys 18 Doubles
Here are their results:
- Boys 12 Singles
- Logan Baumberger played Bradley Bourland of Omaha. He went 1-6, 0-1 when he had to withdraw due to illness. In the consolation round, he was defeated by Brent McNight of Omaha, 0-6, 0-6.
- Trey Mueller played Andrew Bristol of Omaha in the 1st round, losing 5-7, 4-6. In the consolation round, Trey Mueller was defeated by the No. 1 seed, Nicholas Tran of Omaha, 1-6, 0-6. It was a tough draw for Trey, as Andrew Bristol, who beat Trey in round one, defeated the No. 1 seed in round two, then won two more rounds before being defeated in the finals by the No. 2 seed.
- Boys 14 Singles
- Luke Prescott was defeated by Skylar Lowe of Omaha, 3-6, 0-6 in his first round. He then had a win over Andrew Hicks of Omaha, 7-5, 6-1 before being defeated by Max Ferguson of Lincoln, 2-6, 0-6.
- Boys 14 Doubles
- Luke Prescott teamed up with Rohan Khazanchi of Omaha. The event was played as a round robin, with Luke and Rohan winning their first round 6-1, 6-4 over Skylar Lowe and Nicholas Tran of Omaha. In round two they were defeated by Trent Gardner and Michael Mellen of Omaha, 2-6, 2-6.
- Boys 16 Singles
- Braydon Zoucha was defeated in round one by Trevor Milburn of Lincoln, 1-6, 0-6. In the consolation bracket, he defeated Jackson Osborn of Columbus, 6-1, 6-0, and then lost a close 3-set match to Peter Setter of Omaha, 3-6, 6-1, 0-1(8).
- Boys 18 Singles
- Torrey Escamilla was defeated by fellow Fremonter, Joseph Hoffman in round one, 2-6, 5-7. In the consolation bracket, Escamilla lost to John Seier of Lincoln, 3-6, 2-6.
- Joseph Hoffman defeated fellow Fremonter, Torrey Escamilla in round one, 6-2, 7-5. He was then defeated by the No. 3 seed, Gregory Beaufait of Omaha, 3-6, 1-6.
- Boys 18 Doubles
- Luke Samuelson and Braydon Zoucha teamed up and played Seton Bachle of Murdock, and Gregory Beaufait of Omaha in their first round match, losing 0-6, 1-6. They got a tough draw, as Bachle/Beaufait defeated the No. 1 seed in round two, and then the No. 2 seed in the Finals for the championship.
You can see all the results at Tennis Link – McDonalds Fremont Junior Open.
It was good to see Fremont area players participating. Thanks for playing. And thanks to Diana Myers and Justin Bigsby for all their hard work and time to plan and carry out this great Jr. Tournament.